There hasn't been a DIY post on the blog in forever! Well today, I finally took my camera into the kitchen and decided to make a classic fall treat, caramel apples. These aren't your ordinary caramel apples though, I made mini bite size versions that are perfect for an event, sharing, or snacking on. Enjoy!
To make this recipe, you will need:
- melted caramel (you can buy it pre-made and heat it up, follow package directions as I did, or make your own!)
- toppings (e.g. mini marshmallows, m&ms, chocolate chips, pretzels, sprinkles, etc)
- skewers/Popsicle sticks
- and of course, apples!
1. Start off by making/heating up your caramel. I highly encourage you to make it homemade if you have time, because it is amazing from scratch, but if you don't have time, pre-packaged caramel works well too. You want to follow the directions to make sure that it is the perfect temperature before dipping the apples, because otherwise the caramel won't stick.
2. While the caramel is cooling, you want to peel your apples and take a melon ball tool to cut out mini spheres from the apple.
3. After, line them up on a greased baking tray and stick in your skewers or Popsicle sticks. I recommend something small and thin, because the apple bits will be pretty small. If you have time, pop them in the freezer to let the apples harden for a little bit.
4, Next, it is time to start dipping your apples! Dip once and let any excess drip off, and if needed, dip again. Then, quickly dip and roll in the topping of your choice, or sprinkle the toppings on the apple.
5. Once you have all of the apple pops coated and decorated, it is time to chill them. Place them in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or just keep them chilled until you are ready to eat them. They are perfect for parties or large occasions, or just make a yummy snack!
Yummy! That concludes my post for this week, I hope you found some inspiration in these apple bites, or that they helped you in planning for a fall party. If you decide to make them, post pictures on social media and tag me so I can see your creations! I hope you have a great week!